Saturday, October 11, 2008

Essential Guidebooks

Vacationing at Walt Disney World can be complicated, overwhelming, exhausting, and expensive. There are at least three ways to get the necessary information to alleviate all of those challenges: good guidebooks, informative podcasts, and easy-to-navigate websites. This post will focus on the guidebooks I've found most useful for my own use.

*My new favorite: Passporter's Walt Disney World 2009: The Unique Travel Guide, Planner, Organizer, Journal, and Keepsake by Jennifer, Dave, and Allison Marx. This guidebook can go with you everywhere at the World. It's very well-organized and includes ratings, descriptions, prices, details, and lists of additional resources (such as websites). Additionally, at the back of the book there are pocket pages to hold maps, receipts, etc. and an elastic band that holds the book closed, so you lose nothing. My only complaint? The pictures are all non-professional ones of the authors' family.



*An oldie-but-goodie: Birnbaum's Walt Disney World 2009. This is the official guide of WDW, and it is very comprehensive. It's very weak on the touring plans, and offers no opinions or ratings. It does include good photographs and all activities provided at WDW. I've been reading this since the early 90s.



*For the extremely obsessed WDW traveler: The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2009 by Bob Sehlinger and Len Testa. This book is hundreds of pages long, and covers every possible angle of WDW - touring plans, crowd levels, ratings and readers' opinions, restaurants and hotels on and off property, etc. I enjoy reading it but wouldn't necessarily recommend it as your primary resource.



*For visual interest and absorbing trivia: The Complete Guide to Walt Disney World 2008 by Julie and Mike Neal. Beautiful photographs and interesting facts make this book the best for casual reading and skimming. It does include all that a guidebook would in terms of prices, attractions, maps and the like, but gives very little guidance regarding efficient touring, saving money, etc. Still, very much worth the money.



Many of these guidebooks (albeit in older editions) may be available through your local library or via a site like www.half.com. No matter which you choose, be sure you have at least one as you plan your trip (or dream about it, at least!).

4 comments:

Nikki said...

I've wondered about these books and their value when planning a trip. Thanks Beth... :)

Holly said...

Thankfully, I have a WDW obsessed friend that has loaned me almost all the books mentioned, and I am very thankful. ;)

I will say that initially, the Birnbaum's book was good because it was basic and has a lot of general info.

Now that I am seriously planning my trip, I have referred to the Un-Official and the Complete Guide a lot. They have much more "meat" to them.

My only complaint is that you have to become a semi-expert to plan this "vacation".

Here are a few topic ideas for future posts if you feel so inclined. :)

*Epcot, what's the big deal? I was talking to Nikki tonight and they didn't really know what was offered in the "tour of the world" part of it. She was surprised that you recommended a whole say for that part. So, a lot more info on that would be helpful. Also, table service meal suggestions would be good for there.

*Maybe a list of "must see/do" for each park. (Maybe "don't bother" list also.

*First time tips

*Helpful internet sites by category? (there is sooo much out there!)

Ok- so I know all the suggestions are self-serving, but maybe they might help another too?? :)

Holly said...

OH- and maybe if you get bored, you could do one on WDW through the years! I was talking to my Aunt and she said when she went as a kid, they would give you a bunch of tickets when you get in, and then you use the tickets to get on rides. Kinda like carnival or something. Crazy!!

BTW- thanks for letting us take up your whole friday night to talk Disney. VERY helpful! Do you travel to NY? I bet Nikki could use one of those nights!

Gretta said...

I have only bought and used the Birnbaum's book. I have loved it so that is probably why I didn't buy any others because that book worked for me. And we were already pretty familiar with Disney World so we didn't need a book that went way in depth. I think the last time we bought a Disney World Guide book was when we bought our year passes the first time so we could take advantage of more things since we would be traveling there more. Now we just check on the web site every now and again to see what is new and add that to our list of things to do next time. We have been there so many times (over 30 days at the parks with our last year pass alone) that we have a routine that works best for our family. We add to that routine as the kids get older and taller and want to try out some roller coasters.
This blog of yours makes me very happy. Love reading about Disney