Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Evolution of an Obsession


After much encouragement, and a commitment to sink more time into blogging (!), I've decided to begin my "specialty" blog about Walt Disney World, "The World With Beth."

My interest in Disney World and other Disney-related subjects began, as it does with most of us, in my childhood. After a particularly frightening medical procedure at 5 years old, my mother fixed me a snack and let me watch "Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too" in our Beta VCR player. We had a couple of trips to WDW as young children (pre-5) which I enjoyed, and later wished I could remember more about. I enjoyed various Disney movies, especially during the late 1980s/early 1990's resurgence under Michael Eisner. But the real fun started when I made a trip to WDW at 12 years old with my mom, aunt Christina, and sister Andrea. Mom and Christina decided to go off on their own one evening and left Andrea and I to decide where we'd like to go. We ended up taking the bus to Epcot, where there was palpable excitement and no lines! We were free, essentially "adult," at ages 15 and 12. It was wonderful, and at the time, it was one of the few moments where we DIDN'T argue.

For me, WDW is a place of freedom, where the perfectly created "Disney" reality BECOMES my own reality. You are taken care of, entertained, fed, and befriended by cast members and other visitors alike. It is beautiful, clean, happy, safe, and detailed in ways casual guests would never realize. Although you pay for the privilege, you come away realizing that no detail was too small to be perfected and polished, and you believe it was done just for you.

You can choose what kind of experience you want: Are you single and you want to enjoy the clubs? Do you have young children who are dying to hug Pluto? Are you a "foodie" who wants to experience international cuisine without a passport? Are you a senior who is concerned about mobility and safety? This is the place.

Here's where I ask for help: Blog topics. I could use some. Because no more than half a dozen people will ever read this, I can personalize it to what you want or need to know. No question is too obscure, no challenge too great!

See you in the World!

7 comments:

Nikki said...

Very nice intro...I agree whole heartedly with the special experience that Disney provides. Every other amusement park feels dirty and pretty lame in comparison.
My 12 year old is dying for her chance to go somewhere in the park with just her sister, no parents. Umm maybe in a couple of years when Reagan is atleast 12 and Jillie is 14.

Nikki said...

you need to fix something- a warning comes up when you enter this site that it may be in violation. It's says you can fix it in your settings or somewhere in there. :)

Nikki said...

I am your FIRST FOLLOWER!! Yea, me!

Holly said...

Are you JOKING me? Brilliant!! Wonderful!! I am so happy you are finally "out there"!! Now you just need to make a "button" that everyone can put on their blogs so others will know where to go for info. Dan should be able to whip up something in a few minutes, Right? (If he HAS a few minutes!) HEY YOU!! Sitting to the left of this screen... or is it to the right? I can't remember... Do this button thing for Beth. We need it!!) :) Can't wait to dig in to the WORLD!!

Gretta said...

Well this very well could have been me writting this post. I couldn't have said it better myself. Jon and I are Disney freaks. I don't know who the bigger fan is. We will be going after Christmas (I know not the best time that is why we are going to be there enough days to be able to spend 2 days at each park) and would love to buy a year pass again but with 7 tickets to buy (1 kid still free Yeah!!) it will cost over $3000.00 and with Christmas around the corner, a backyard addition, dinning room addition we want to do the beginning of next year, food storage to stock up on (the list can go on and on)and who knows what will happen to the economy in the next year we feel it is best to pay half that amount for our December trip tickets and maybe in the hopefully near future get a year pass again. I love the fact that we live only 7-8 hours (depending on traffic/road work) from the greatest place on earth. Only about 4-5 DVDs.

Beth Soelberg said...

The warning comes from a spam filtering system...I've put in a request to have it fixed.

Thanks for all of the lovely comments!

Caity said...

I can't wait to plan a trip and ask you all sorts of questions on your blog! It may be a few years, but still! This will be a perfect place to study up in the mean-time.