Friday, November 7, 2008

Port Orleans Riverside Links


The last three times that I have visited the Walt Disney World Resort, I have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. It's a sprawling, beautifully landscaped resort themed to Southern Louisiana - both the more rustic Alligator Bayou section and the manicured Mansion section. There are plenty of things I love about it: the grounds, the theme, the Riverside Mill (food court), the Sassagoula river, and the boat that travels between Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside, and Downtown Disney.

After Disney's Wicked Good Discount, both Holly and Nikki's families will be staying at Port Orleans Riverside. For this purpose, I will post just a couple of links featuring more information and, best of all, pictures!

Port Orleans Unofficial Site

AllEarsNet Port Orleans Page

WDW Info Port Orleans Review

Each of these sites will provide, with a little exploration, plenty of photos, plus descriptions of room layouts, recreational activities, amenities, special events, and dining options.

Speaking of dining options: I have eaten at both the Riverside Mill Food Court and the resort's only table service restaurant, Boatwright's. The atmosphere at both places is outstanding. My experience at Boatwright's was nothing special - the food was okay but not memorable, with a slight Southern, cajun flavor. For a more detailed review, click below.

Kevin Klose's Boatwright's Review

9 comments:

Leanne said...

You keep posting these things and I'm going to have to go out and steal some money so I can go!!!!!!!

I've only stayed at the sports themed resort at Disney. I'd love to go to this Port Orleans one.
-sigh- I wish, I wish, I wish!

Gretta said...

My favorite Disney resort of the 5 that I have stayed at so far has to be the Animal Kingdom resort. We had 4 kids at the time. They had a queen size bed and bunk beds. We had the oldest 5 year old on the top bunk and two on the bottom bunk one at each end of the bed they were 2 and 4 at the time. Then we had the baby in the port a crib. We got a great deal on our room and when we got there to check in they upgraded us to a room with a view of the animals. It was so awesome to wake up and go out on our little balcony and look at the giraffes eating breakfast. WE saw animals out there all the time. It was great. If I bought into the Disney vacation club this would be the resort I would pick. If you ever get a great price for this resort I would try it. The kids love to watch the animals outside their room.

Beth Soelberg said...

Gretta - How about the last week of January??? You could get a couple of rooms at Port Orleans...we'd be there...could do some babysitting for you! :)

Then you could check one more Disney resort off your list!

If you want I can do a "quote" for you.

Nikki said...

I'm glad you posted this for 2 reasons-
1. Great info & resources on the resort... it's good to get a feel for where we'll be and what's available there.

and

2. It made me realize that Greg put us in P.O. French Quarter, not Riverside like the Averys. I guess that's not a big deal- we're still closer than if we were at an All Star.
Greg chose FQ based on the recommendation of the reservations guy and the fact that he misses the French Quarter feel that you get at one area of Disneyland that they don't have at WDW.

Anyhow- once again, thanks for the info!!!!

Beth Soelberg said...

I liked French Quarter too, Nikki - except there are a lot of "Mardi Gras" jesters all over the place. That's a little on the creepy side.

But what evens that out is that you can go to the food court and pick up some beignets for a snack, or breakfast, and they are almost the most delicious things I've ever eaten. MMMM.

Gretta said...

We are actually going a few days after Christmas for a week. Since I have a kid in middle school and the thought of all that make up schoolwork makes me sick. I was thinking a trip after school gets out (our school gets out earlier than most our last day is the Friday before Memorial day). So I was looking at the last full week of May. That Memorial weekend will probably be pretty crowded but the other days should be less crowded. I have always wanted to stay in a Disney resort with our kids and give them that magical experience (haven't stayed an property with all the kids in over 5 years)and with this deal having 2 conjoined rooms wont be to bad on the wallet. I also want to try the disney dinning plan. What is your take on the dinning plan? Is it worth it? I also told my sister about this deal. I know her family hasn't been in a few years and they wanted to stay on Disney property so she is looking into this awesome deal too. Thanks for the posting on these great deals.

Beth Soelberg said...

Gretta - Maybe the Dining Plan is worth another post???

We have used it twice in the past. The last time the gratuity was no longer included, and they also dropped the appetizer, so it wasn't much of a deal anymore. I enjoyed the convenience of not having to pay (and worry about prices!), but it was hard on our kids (and us) to sacrifice so much park time to sit-down meals. When our kids are older we may do it again; for this next trip we are paying out of pocket.

Caity said...

Are the discount hotels horrible? Or is moderate really a lot better way to go?

Beth Soelberg said...

Caity-

I've never stayed at the Value resorts, but I've never heard they're terrible. Generally I've heard that they are clean and serviceable, and that kids love the theming.

Anyone else have experience with value resorts?

You could try www.allearsnet.com for more information on Value and Moderate resorts, plus photo galleries and rate and review pages.