Tuesday, November 25, 2008

WDW Rides - Don't Bother!

I have to put a huge caveat at the beginning of this post:

This is only my OPINION. If this is your first or only visit to WDW, go ahead and try everything. But if there's limited time, here are a few attractions you can avoid:

Magic Kingdom


*Country Bear Jamboree - these Audio Animatronics are so old you can hear the clicks.

*Enchanted Tiki Room - for me, this attraction is too loud. BUT it's cool and there's seating.

*Mad Tea Party - how long will it take for you to get sick?


*Stitch's Great Escape - Let's just bulldoze this now. Frightening and stinky.


*Tomorrowland Indy Speedway - I can have more fun on the Go-Carts 5 minutes from my house. Still, we'll probably go on them this next trip because Helena is interested in it.



Epcot

*Honey, I Shrunk the Audience - This 3-D film is way past it's prime. At least Captain EO had some excellent music and snappy dance moves.

*Innoventions - I just don't have much interest in this area, which highlights technology of the near future (and sometimes, even the near past).


Animal Kingdom


*Dinosaur - Let's expand this to include all of Dinoland, U.S.A. (except for Finding Nemo: The Musical). My feeling on this ride was that it was jerky to the point of pain, loud, and obnoxious. But lots of people enjoy it as a thrill ride.

*Rafiki's Planet Watch - We did this last time. It's basically a train ride to a petting zoo. I think Helena liked it, and there were opportunities to visit with characters (but Rafiki was kind of scary looking). For adults, though, there's not much to do here.



*Triceratops Spin - Dumbo with cheesy dinosaurs. This ride seems like a filler - a way to absorb some crowds. It's just not very imaginative, and it's in Dinoland, U.S.A., which I'm not a fan of anyway.


I couldn't find any attractions that I would immediately tell you to ignore at Disney's Hollywood Studios. There are some that I would skip, but only because they don't fit within my interests. The only one that is solely for kids is "Playhouse Disney: Live On Stage." Helena and the other kids in the theater ate it up.

Soon I'll do a post on the Must Dos.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

This is interesting. Country Bears is gone at Disneyland. Greg thought he'd loved it as a kid and was excited that it was at WDW. But besides the fact that we were hot and it was nice to sit in air conditioning, it was SO BAD.
We love the Tiki Room and thought the new version at WDW was fun- although we really enjoy the original at DL.
Mad Tea party- can't do it anymore, but the kids like it.
Stitch sucked. I didn't like it and Kobe cried and shook through the whole thing.
I much prefer Autopia at DL over the speedway at WDW. The kids love "driving" a car... and take it very seriously. "Mom! Don't talk to me I'm trying to drive!"
The 3D film is kind of fun to experience once, but the movie is dated.
We liked Dinosaur- kind of like Indiana Jones ride at DL. But I thought the carnival type rides of Dinoland was lame filler rides.
And we're not big fans of petting zoos either.

Andrea said...

Why is it that some of these (the first two especially) are must dos on mom's list? Have you ever seen an grown women enjoy moving stuffed animals so much?

Gretta said...

Hi
I would add to the magic kingdom Tom Sawyer Island and Swiss Family Robins Tree house. I like the Tiki Room (you can sit and it is air conditioned) Good one for a break much better than the terrible Country Bears.

We like the triceratops twirl one at Animal Kingdom we go on that instead of the way to long Dumbo Line. I think we have only done Dumbo once since we have had kids. The older kids like the Dinosaur ride. To scary for younger kids.

If you have more that one day at the parks, then you can try out some of the more unpopular attractions.